Childbirth and Breastfeeding Support Demonstration
As of Jan. 1, 2022, TRICARE will cover certain services by certified labor doulas, lactation consultants and lactation counselors as part of its five-year Childbirth and Breastfeeding Support Demonstration. Look for complete benefit and eligibility details at www.tricare.mil/Plans/SpecialPrograms/CBSD.
You must be eligible for the demonstration and care must be from lactation counselors, lactation consultants or labor doulas who meet TRICARE certification requirements for services to be covered. We offer full certification details for providers on our website.
To be eligible for certified labor doula services under the demonstration, you can’t plan to give birth in a military hospital or clinic.
- Lactation counselors have received specialized training to aid in breastfeeding and infant nutrition from breastmilk, and generally provide breastfeeding counseling to support normal lactation and breastfeeding parents of healthy, full-term infants.
- Lactation consultants have the highest level of breastfeeding training and may be necessary when complex problems surrounding breastfeeding arise.
- Labor doulas, sometimes referred to as birth doulas, aid a birthing parent during the birthing process. They provide support for the birthing parent prior to, during and after labor. Labor doulas are not medical personnel and do not provide medical services, such as examination of the cervix or prescription of medications, and do not give medical advice.
Find a Provider
It’s important to check the participation status of any labor doula, lactation consultant or lactation counselor you wish to see before getting care to avoid unexpected costs. If a provider you wish to see does not show in our directory, contact us to nominate them for participation.
Help spread the word!
Eligible beneficiaries do not need a referral for services under the demonstration.
- If enrolled in TRICARE Prime, Point of Service charges may apply for care received by non-network providers without a referral.
- For all plans, care must be by TRICARE-authorized providers who meet the certification requirements of the demonstration.